Day #10: Nájera to Azofra, 5.8km


Today was a short and painful day.  I only walked 5.8km and stopped at a lovely Albergue in Azofra.  I left Nájera around 8:30a after stopping for a cafe con leche and a croissant.  I made it into town around 10a and found a bar serving more substantial food.  I had fresh squeezed OJ and two pieces of toast with jam and butter.  Around 11a, I walked to the Albergue to see if I could leave my pack there until they opened at Noon.  There was no problem with that, so I left my pack and wandered around town a bit.  I went up to the church, took a few pictures.  I went to both of the grocery stores and bought food to snack on.

Just before Noon, I went back to the Albergue to check in and get assigned my room.  Yeah, you heard that right.  I got a room!  Well, I had to share it with one other person, but it was like heaven!  The rooms are nice, have lots of space built in for your packs and shoes.  I paid 3€ to have my clothes washed in the washing machine, then hung them outside to air dry in the warm weather with a nice wind.  I hung out at the hostel and got caught up on blogging, took a nap, and tried to rest my feet as much as possible.

Around 5p, I went to the church because I thought it was supposed to be open, but it wasn't.  I thought I would wait a while and met a Korean girl.  She was very nice and spoke English with an Australian accent!  I later learned she had lived in Australia for a year.

We talked for quite a while and then went back to the Bar Sevilla to see what time they were serving dinner.  Luckily we only had to wait a short amount of time.  Her friend, Jennifer, also from Korea, joined us for dinner and we had a lovely time.  I went with a combo plate instead of the pilgrim menu.  I had fried eggs, bread, ham, and yep, french fries.

I also saw the trio of South African women (Ilsa, Hazel and Elizabeth) I had hadn't seen since Pamplona.  They are so much fun!  I hung out with them for a while and took advantage of the free wi-fi hotspot in the middle of the street!

Finally, I made it back to the Albergue and went to bed.  I am glad I took the day off to rest!