Bahamas Vacation Update #1

Sunday, February 22, 2009
Well, after we left Louisville, KY, we headed to our final destination of Freeport, Bahamas for a much-needed vacation. We left Louisville at 6 a.m. I think we went to bed around 2 a.m. and were up by 4 a.m. to get to the airport in time. With all of the cutbacks in flights and whatnot, trying to get anything close to a direct flight is a miracle. I wish we had been that lucky. We flew from Louisville to Chicago to Charlotte to Freeport. I paid $12 for an egg sandwich with bacon & cheese plus an Odwalla Orange Juice in Chicago. In Charlotte, I paid over $5 for a medium java chip frapuccino from Starbucks. I love the prices in airports.

We arrived in Freeport around 1:45 p.m., made it through customs with flying colors and met Bobo in the arrival area. Being the gracious host, he greeted us with kisses on the cheek and a cooler of wine & beers! He took us back to the condo where we quickly changed into more appropriate attire before heading to a local bar where one of his friends was going to meet us. We met Diane and hung out at Margaritaville for a bit. Then we went to another bar for a bit, had a drink, then headed back to the condo. Bobo invited a few people over for dinner and he grilled up some steaks and lambchops. Katie from Bikini Bottom, Tony (who took me & Gina sailing last year), Keith and Diane all came over for dinner and drinks. It was great! We had so much fun, just talking and catching up with Katie. We were all pretty tired, so slowly we all ended up in bed and sound asleep. It was a great day!

Monday, February 23, 2009
Bobo got us up and out of bed this morning so he could take us to the grocery store before leaving us to our own devices. We went to the Italian store, which I love! They have the best coffee and all kinds of Italian imports you can't get in the US. There are quite a few Italians in Freeport, which is why they have the store there. We went to the City Market, too. I was amazed. The last time we were there, the amount and quality of food was less than stellar. They had quite a bit of fresh produce and the prices weren't too bad. I still couldn't justify spending $12 on a half gallon of ice cream! Bobo brought us back to the condo and got his stuff together before leaving with Diane. Their flights were leaving close together so they carpooled out to the airport. After he left, we took showers and walked to Billy Joe's for lunch. I was really craving the grilled conch, but they were out, so I tried the cracked conch. It was okay, but I think I am going to have to go back to get my fix before we leave.

We wandered around the Port Lucaya Marketplace, looking at the shops, checking out the liquor store and cigar shop, plotting what we want to buy before we leave. We headed back to the condo for the evening and Lisa made us dinner from leftovers. We were still tired from all the traveling so we just chilled out at the house for the evening.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Lisa cooked us a stellar breakfast in the morning before we headed to the beach to lounge. The weather was okay. It was kind of windy, so we only stayed out for about an hour. Later on, we headed back to town and had gelato at Island Java. She makes it fresh every day, so when it's gone...that's it. I had the coconut, Lisa and Gretchen had the chocolate. It was so delicious!

Lisa cooked another fabulous meal for dinner, using a combination of leftovers and new stuff to create a lovely meal of pasta and salad. We watched some TV shows online we had missed last week and played a mean game of Scattergories before heading to bed.

Okay, I got you updated for now. I'll be doing another post for today's adventures.